Transition Coordinator at The Ohio State University
Posting DateJuly 29, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position assists the Project Coordinator on a federally funded research project on child development in early education settings and the transition to kindergarten. The primary focus of the Transition Coordinator is to implement research activities in the field that support the preschool-to-kindergarten transition for children, teachers, and families. The work involves regular travel to multiple school districts, and working with preschool teachers and families across the state of Ohio, to include home visits. The Transition Coordinator assists in the implementation of research and study activities to support day-to-day progress towards project deliverables, to include conducting classroom observations, assessing children, compiling coding forms, and data entry and checking. The Transition Coordinator travels to field sites and prepares research materials for use in the field. The incumbent assists in the creation and testing of experimental classroom observational tools. The incumbent assists the Project Coordinator by scheduling meetings, creating agendas and preparing other materials, other duties as assigned. There are two positions available with this opening.
These positions will work primarily in the field, traveling between multiple school districts across the state of Ohio, to include home visits. The Transition Coordinators will work remotely in Dayton, Ohio. Transition Coordinators will interact with students, teachers, and families on a regular basis, and will report to the Project Coordinator.
The successful candidate for this position will accomplish the following:
- Assist Project Coordinator with administrative tasks, such as: preparing materials to be distributed to students and teachers, communicating with teachers at schools, gathering and preparing assessment materials.
- Assists in the implementation of research and study activities to support day-to-day progress towards project deliverables, to include conducting classroom observations, assessing children, compiling coding forms, and data entry and checking.
- Participate in data collection activities (to include preparing assessment training and materials, assessing children in schools, collecting teacher surveys, tracking student assessment completion, and data entry).
- Prior experience working in research lab, classroom, or other relevant setting
- Prior experience coding observational data
- Prior experience calculating reliability and creating databases
- Fluency in Spanish
The selected candidate for this position will have demonstrated success in several areas including:
- Prior experience conducting student assessments while working with teachers and/or children
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel for field work
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team
- Must be able to fulfill the state requirements to work with preschool children (successful completion of an FBI/BCI background check)
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.