Trades Specialist (Plumber) at Miami University
Posting DateSeptember 21, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 6334 Classified AFSCME FT (Hourly)
Position installs, maintains, repairs and troubleshoots domestic plumbing systems, chilled water, steam and condensate, fixtures, industrial kitchen equipment, and water treatment systems for a university campus consisting of approximately 200 buildings. Position’s primary purpose is to ensure that all plumbing systems and auxiliary equipment are in good working order and that any repairs are completed promptly and properly.
- Reviews job orders and blueprints or drawings; inspects site and consults with client; determines best method to complete project.
- Estimates amount of materials and equipment needed to complete project; arranges for materials to be at job site.
- Performs complex repair or installation on University facilities and property using expertise acquired through specialized training in a skilled trade.
- Assists outside contractors as needed; assists crafts-persons from other trades as needed.
- Maintains and cleans tools and equipment; maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- May prepare some paperwork; may maintain files.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics
- Knowledge of the procedures and equipment of a particular skilled trade
- Mechanical aptitude
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and/or mechanical diagrams
- Working Conditions
- Requires nine months training beyond high school in a skilled trade and two years of experience in that trade, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Driver's license required.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- License to test backflow preventers in the State of Ohio 2 Backhoe/excavator equipment operations experience
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.