Trades Specialist – HVAC/R at Miami University
Posting DateSeptember 21, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5824 – AFSCME – FT (Hourly)
Position performs the installation, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, (HVAC) and refrigeration components, equipment, and systems for a university campus consisting of approximately 200 buildings. Position’s primary purpose is ensuring that all HVAC and refrigeration systems and auxiliary equipment are in good working order and that any repairs are completed promptly and properly.
- Customer Service Function – Provides assistance to internal and external customers promptly and courteously; maintains frequent communication with the customer concerning status of work requests; performs quality work consistent with manufacturer’s requirements and complies with all applicable codes; maintains a professional appearance and attitude
- Maintenance & Repair Function – Performs installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC and refrigeration equipment to include air handlers, chillers, cooling towers, direct-expansion refrigeration systems, window units, pumps, fans, air compressors, air dryers, pneumatic and electronic controls, and other relevant equipment; determines the root cause of failures
- Preventive Maintenance Function – Cleans or replaces air filters, belts, bearings, seals, performs lubrication on mechanical and electrical equipment; cleans coils of all types; assists in checking alignment of rotating equipment
- Water Treatment Function – Performs operation, maintenance and repair of water treatment systems to include cooling towers and closed loop heating and cooling systems • Contractor Coordination & Oversight – Coordinates the activity of service contractors and new installation contractors to ensure compliance with all plans, specifications, and applicable codes and standards
- Tool Proficiency – Utilizes HVAC and refrigeration equipment to include vacuum pumps, gage sets, rigging equipment, torches, electrical testing devices, mechanical hand tools and other relevant equipment; utilizes the building automation system (BAS) as a tool to diagnose and repair HVAC and applicable refrigeration systems; maintains tools in a clean and serviceable condition; reports broken or damaged items for repair or replacement
- Additional Functions – Performs other building trades tasks in maintaining industrial equipment and in response to emergency situations as assigned
- Physical Abilities – Work may include; walking, lifting (up to 75 pounds), bending, stooping, carrying, climbing (to include extension ladders); work environment may be very hot or cold.
- Assists outside contractors and craft-persons from other trades as needed. Maintains and cleans tools and equipment. Maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner. Knowledge of the procedures and equipment of a particular skilled trade; mechanical aptitude; ability to read and understand blueprints and/or mechanical diagrams.
- Requires nine months training beyond high school in a skilled trade and two years of experience in that trade, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Driver's license required.
- Five or more years of verifiable previous experience in HVAC-R preferred
- NATE Certification, Journeyman Card in a relevant trade, or successful completion of an apprenticeship program
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.