Trades Specialist (Auto Technician) at Miami University
Posting DateMarch 12, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 6680 – FT – Classified AFSCME (hourly)
The Trades Specialist performs moderately complex repair or construction of university facilities or property which require specialized training in a skilled trade. Performs repairs to gasoline and diesel equipment, to include trucks, tractors, lawn and garden equipment.
- Reviews job orders and blueprints or drawings; inspects site and consults with client; determines best method to complete project.
- Estimates amount of materials and equipment needed to complete project; arranges for materials to be at job site.
- Performs complex repair or installation on University facilities and property using expertise acquired through specialized training in a skilled trade.
- Assists outside contractors as needed; assists crafts persons from other trades as needed.
- Maintains and cleans tools and equipment; maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- May prepare some paperwork; may maintain files.
- Routine and preventative maintenance tasks on automotive equipment and small engines.
- Requires nine months of training beyond high school in a skilled trade and two years of experience in that trade, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Driver's license required.
- ASE certification preferred.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.eduor 513-529-3560. Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html.
Hard copy is available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.