Technology Support Coordinator at Miami University
Posting DateMarch 23, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5435 – Unclassified – FT (Salaried)
Job Description Summary:
The Technology Support Coordinator functions as a senior resource for managing the systems and relevant infrastructure components that provide desktop and mobile management services, imaging and software deployment, and software virtualization in a complex networked environment.
- Provide support to distributed technology support staff in areas related to desktop, tablet and mobile computing, including assistance with group policy, and use of system management platforms (e.g. SCCM and JAMF Pro); work cooperatively to understand technical needs, develop management solutions, and provide in-depth troubleshooting in a complex networked environment. Plan and implement changes and upgrades. Plan for system management capacity.
- Provide in-depth troubleshooting at Tier II or Tier III level on desktop, tablet and mobile operating systems, printing, file storage, common departmental applications in a remote support environment; provide root cause analysis and develop solutions to prevent future problems.
- Working with procurement, assist with site licensed software renewals, maintain vendor licensing knowledge, and maintain licenses on a central licensing server. Maintain knowledge of and document vendor licensing portals, maintain awareness of for software upgrades; plan for any major changes to software versions or licensing.
- Document solutions and work to provide excellent service and initiatives in the Knowledge Center Support Repository. Create and maintain support documentation that is publicly available to assist students, faculty and staff. Create and maintain standard operating procedures for use by other support staff.
- Installation, configuration and user management of software delivered through virtualization (e.g. View Desktop, RemoteApp). Maintain infrastructure supporting desktop virtualized environment, including capacity planning, some server management, and knowledge of networking. Consult with departments to determine application virtualization needs.
- Identify opportunities, researches and recommends new technologies, processes or models that elevates desktop/tablet/mobile management services at the university.
- Understand security principles as it relates to desktops, tablets, mobile devices. Maintain security awareness related to systems providing services consumed by end users. Assist with remediation of security concerns.
- Use prescribed Incident, Change and Problem management systems.
- Actively participant on projects as needed involving departmental or cross-functional teams. May serve as Client Engagement lead for designated department.
- May teach 1 credit-bearing course, per semester, and with departmental approval.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
- Demonstrated experience supporting current versions of Windows, Mac and mobile operating systems. Experience troubleshooting complex issues, including identifying problems within the infrastructure (firewall, network, servers).
- Demonstrated experience using and maintaining SCCM and JAMF Pro or equivalent system management utilities. Serve as lead engineer for system management utilities.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Active Directory Group Policy Management, included AGPM. Assist other support staff in the creation of, and troubleshooting of Group Policy.
- Demonstrated experience with imaging technologies and software packaging, supporting more than 100 applications.
- Ability to analyze causes of client problems, generate solutions and communicate findings to users and managers. Participate on Major Incidents as needed.
- Experience managing software licenses, vendor management. Server certificate management.
Require Bachelor’s Degree earned by date of hire and 6+ years of relevant experience.
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.