Stationary Engineer at Miami University
Posting DateMay 17, 2017
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Check out our new starting pay rate – $18.50/hr!!
Job Summary: Job ID: 3566 – AFSCME – FT (Hourly)
This position is responsible for the operation of high-pressure steam boilers, steam turbines, engines, electrical generators and complex auxiliary support equipment in an efficient and safe manner.
- Engineer is directly responsible for the reliable production of steam that provides the University with heat / hot water and indirectly with the production of chilled water for process cooling, refrigeration and air conditioning.
- This position is also directly responsible for the reliable generation of electricity that provides the University with peak power reduction as well as emergency power in the event of regional power outages.
- Engineer remotely monitors operations and alarms from the South Refrigeration Plant, North Chiller Plant and the Geothermal Energy Plant.
- Requires nine months training in high pressure steam plant operations, a 3rdClass Stationary Engineer's License, and three years related experience. An equivalent combination may be substituted for education and experience requirements.
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Knowledge and experience in the maintenance and operation of chillers, engines, generators and boilers are highly desirable
- Advances experience in SCADA systems operations, troubleshooting and maintenance is desirable
- The ability to communicate both verbally and in written word with all levels of maintenance and operating personnel, outside utility providers, vendors and contractors
- General knowledge of computers is highly preferred
Miami University, an EOIAA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html
Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.