Sr. Operations Manager, Custodial Operations at Miami University
Posting DateFebruary 27, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID: 6806 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
Position manages, plans, organizes and controls daily operations for a Custodial operation on a large university campus. Operations include custodial maintenance, minor repair maintenance (re-lamping, carpet repair, equipment repair, dispenser installations) unlocking and securing buildings. Work consists of custodial maintenance performed to a uniform standard, consistent with protocols and schedule trends, in a manner that results in the greatest efficiency, effectiveness and customer service. Maintains effective working relationships with Operations Managers in other sections of Physical Facilities to coordinate overall University facilities management. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education/Experience – Bachelor's degree in a related field plus a minimum of 3 years full-time experience in managing a medium or large sized work staff or facility OR; related associate's degree plus a minimum of 5 years full-time experience in facilities management/custodial maintenance; OR a minimum of 10 years full-time verifiable experience in custodial maintenance or management of entry level employees.
- Knowledge of Custodial Function – thorough knowledge of methods associated with maintenance, repair, and operation of all elements noted above; thorough knowledge of safety regulations, safe work practices and industry best practices.
- Technical Understanding – ability to read, interpret, and understand drawings, specifications, and other technical data.
- Attention to Detail – ability to maintain detailed and complete records of maintenance and repair activities.
- Communication Skills – ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons.
- Customer Service Skills – thorough understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods.
- Managerial Complexity – must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of upper-management.
- Computer Skills – must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs; knowledge of computerized maintenance-management software program.
- Work Schedule – ability and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends; ability and willingness to participate in 24 hour on-call rotation.
- Advanced leadership skills; proven ability to energize and motivate teams while maintaining the University's core values.
- Significant experience with IT and organizational strategy; expert ability to collaboratively develop and communicate strategy in cooperation with diverse teams and viewpoints to enable University goals. Demonstrated strategic vision for solutions, applications, development tools, and related areas.
- Strong people management skills including a proven ability to establish and maintain team relationships, experience developing programs to foster and improve professional development, a focus on staff empowerment, and the ability to respond to personal and professional needs as well as to mentor staff members.
- Advanced communication skills including presentation, listening, and writing skills.
- Robust relationship management skills including a proven ability to establish and maintain partner, business, and vendor relationships.
- Demonstrated excellence in service management and ownership including experience evaluating and managing service offerings and maintaining service catalogs and lifecycles.
- Proven experience with complex organizational budgets including the ability to conduct a cost-benefit analysis, develop a business case, and conduct a business value analysis.
- Prefer relevant professional certification in a related area or discipline, including PMP, Lean/Six Sigma, Agile/Scrum, leadership, business, or technical certification.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy is available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.