Sr. Operations Manager, Building Maintenance at Miami University
Posting DateFebruary 27, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID: 6851 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
Position leads, manages, plans, organizes and controls a large maintenance operation for a university campus consisting of approximately 180 buildings. Maintenance operations include plumbing, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), electric and electronics, carpentry, roofing, sheet metal, masonry, locksmiths, small appliance repair, pest control, trucking services, fleet management and campus garage. Work consists of maintenance, installation, operation and repair of a wide variety of commercial and residential mechanical systems and equipment; exterior campus lights, and building electrical systems in a manner that results in the greatest efficiency and effectiveness. Position also oversees and coordinates work of outside contractors. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education/Experience– bachelor’s degree in a related field plus a minimum of 3 years full-time experience in managing a medium or large sized multi-trade work staff or facility; or related associate’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years full-time experience in facilities management/maintenance; or a minimum of 10 years full-time verifiable experience in facilities management or management of skilled trades technicians
- Specific Knowledge– working knowledge of facility systems, including electrical devices and systems, air-conditioning, heating, ventilation, commercial refrigeration, plumbing, water treatment, computerized temperature control systems, chillers, boilers, energy management, fan systems, pumping systems, commercial kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of Maintenance Function– thorough knowledge of methods associated with maintenance, repair, and operation of all building and distribution systems noted above; thorough knowledge of safety regulations and safe work practices
- Technical Understanding– ability to read, interpret, and understand drawings, specifications, sequences of operation, control drawings, and other technical data
- Attention to Detail– ability to maintain detailed and complete records of maintenance and repair activities
- Communication Skills– ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons
- Customer Service Skills– thorough understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods
- Managerial Complexity– must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of upper-management
- Computer Skills– must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs; must be experienced in the use of a computerized maintenance-management software program
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.