Sr. Director of Retail at Miami University
Posting DateJune 3, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develops a strategic vision for all product segments and provides leadership to the campus community for the retail portfolio within Campus Services. Develop and evaluate existing business strategies and initiatives to include brand development, the launch of new products, special events, space utilization, loyalty programs, in-store experience, e-commerce, etc.
Responsible for all Campus Services retail locations, retail events, and online retail presence to include online book vendor. Provide leadership for retail staff, working to resolve issues that arise, facilitating exceptional customer service, identifying areas of operational improvement and development and clearly communicating all expectations.
- Strategic management of internal and external partners to develop relationships and maximize the growth potential of services. Serve as a liaison with retail vendors to facilitate positive customer relations and seek resolution. Oversee the procurement of product utilizing University guidelines and policy.
- Generates strategies about future retail activities to ensure best practice and set strategic goals; maintains up to date knowledge of the marketplace, competitors and trends. Annual space utilization review to maximize and measure the saturation of on-campus retail presence.
- Compile data, calculate sales figures, perform analysis for the Annual Operating Plan, financial performance, budget development, providing all to the Associate Vice President of Campus Services/department leadership. Delivers business and category reviews, including product and merchandising initiatives, performance measures, and on-going tactical plans.
- Lead initiatives with the event and promotional installations. Regular requirements of lifting, bending and stretching with large or awkwardly shaped boxes.
- Direct the work of retail employees. Provide technical assistance and guidance to staff in such matters as University and departmental policies and procedures, operating methods, work rules, performance expectations, code of conduct, customer service, and employee relations.
- Direct all details for day to day business: promotions, price changes, and administrative issues. Maintains appropriate internal controls to ensure retail assets are safeguarded and managed to internal controls. Manages the support of the store’s computer systems, cash registers, and security systems
- Coordinates all efforts and is accountable to final results of annual internal auditing procedures, training, record keeping, etc. Create policy and procedures for annual inventory reviews against Internal Auditing standards.
- Facilitates and directs work activities and schedules to maximize sales, promotional activities, special events, customer service, and financial performance, and ensure the success of the retail business. Maintains labor expense within the scope of budgetary guidelines.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities and trends related to affordability and efficiency within higher education related to educational resources for students
- Management of third party textbooks relationship as it pertains to faculty, staff, and students. Providing general guidance and connecting the correct people and resources to ensure successful course material purchase satisfaction. Manage Staff and resources appropriately to flex during textbook purchase and buyback times.
Master’s degree in Marketing, Communications or a related field is preferred. Experience in developing digital communications for distribution across multiple channels, i.e., social media, web, and email. Experience using customer relationship management systems and other marketing automation systems. Experience working in a University environment.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Retail Management, or a related field with a minimum of five years of marketing experience.
Ability to influence and drive integration of marketing strategy into operational program and planning. Ability to prepare and manage a retail operation P/L budget. Experience driving retail sales. Ability to perform critical analysis. Knowledge of a wide range of marketing and retail techniques, practices, and concepts. Experience with design and development projects. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure. Ability to work independently on strategic issues with the client, capable of managing fairly complex projects. Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to set goals, objectives, and timelines to efficiently meet tasks. Ability to present and communicate with senior level executives. Advanced Excel skills; ability to work with lookups and pivot tables. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint. Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references
to the “Apply Here” button link above.
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225.