Senior Application Developer I at Miami University
Posting DateSeptember 7, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5865 Unclassified – FT (Salary)
Participate in an agile team responsible for delivering solutions, including acquisition, implementation and integration of locally hosted and SaaS third party software; development of custom solutions; and supporting applications. This includes ensuring the team is working effectively, ensuring that all members are accountable to the team, and mentoring less experienced staff.
- Provide project leadership on major systems projects using various methodologies. Maintain project status reports. Plan the required resources. Develop written project proposals including technical, ROI, budget, etc. Recommend solutions to project issues. Participate in cross-functional projects and teams, recognizing the value of a variety of talents and knowledge. Proactively work to remove roadblocks.
- Work as part of a team with an emphasis on agile methodologies and be accountable to that team on all aspects of a solution. This includes ensuring the team is working effectively, ensuring that all members are accountable to the team, and mentoring staff at lower levels.
- Provides team leadership in the form of leading meetings and resolving conflicts. This may include serving in the Scrum Master role (or similar roles) for agile teams.
- Gather, document and analyze requirements and develop specifications for complete systems and applications using agile techniques. Mentor staff at lower levels in the development of requirements and specifications.
- Review the design, development, modification, testing, and implementation of computer applications using agile techniques. This includes the appropriate design, use, and review of error handling, logging, APIs, code reuse, etc. and the management of the overall lifecycle of the system or service.
- Plans, executes, and manages third party software implementations and integrations with a focus on designing APIs and code reuse. Mentor others on how to integrate and troubleshoot third party solutions.
- Participate in change management procedures; provide input and/or participate in the Change Advisory Board
- Document test plans and execute a variety of testing methods; coordinate automation with QA when possible.
- Provide support and problem resolution of computer applications and systems.
- Coordinate support and releases with other IT Services areas and other campus units.
- Provide formal and informal demonstrations and training on a variety of computer application related topics to IT Services and to clients.
- Provide and maintain documentation on computer applications.
- Build positive relationships and serve as a liaison with clients and IT Services staff. This includes acquiring a knowledge of the roles, duties, and skills that various clients and teams possess and utilizing that knowledge to engage others effectively.
- Work with clients in a proactive manner, offering solutions to problems and continually strive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their business operation. Learn and understand client business processes and functions
- Mentor staff on balancing excellent customer service with efficient operations.
- Assist in development of RFPs, review and analyze responses to RFPs.
- Participate in professional development activities and identify professional development activities for the team or department.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- May occasionally teach one credit bearing course, per semester, on an as needed basis.
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing web services
- Demonstrated experience with application support, development and third-party application deployment in Linux, Windows, and SaaS environments
- Experience participating in or leading Agile teams using Scrum and/or Kanban
- Demonstrated experience developing applications in PHP, Perl, or similar languages
- Demonstrated experience developing web applications that are hardened against web attacks (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.) and evaluating existing applications for such attacks
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems
- Demonstrated experience designing the implementation and integration of 3rd party systems
- Demonstrated experience designing, consuming, and creating XML and/or JSON data
- Demonstrated experience developing shell scripts
- Experience recommending techniques for developing and testing web applications that are accessibility (ADA) compliant
- Experience developing or implementing applications that utilize single-signon and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor)
- Experience using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Demonstrated good verbal and written communication skills; including communicating with technical and non-technical clients, and with clients and staff at all organizational levels
- Developing, executing, and automating test plans
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities and experience
- Demonstrated customer service skills; including diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handling complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions. This includes resolving tense situations with customers.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize new tools, languages, and concepts
- Demonstrated ability to independently evaluate and implement technology and industry trends
- Demonstrated ability to recommend network configurations for applications including DNS, DHCP, VLANs, load balancing, firewall rules, analyzing logs
- Demonstrated experience with Higher Ed ERP systems (ellucian’s Banner suite), Learning Management systems (Canvas), and/or web portal systems
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize projects and work on multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated experience with requirements gathering, analysis, and design for complex systems
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative toward resolving barriers to project completion
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing high-volume, highly interactive, mission-critical systems
- Experience developing and supporting applications using Oracle and its related tools, such as SQL Developer, SQL Plus, and PL/SQL
- Experience with web and Java application server administration
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field earned by date of hire
- At least 6 years of experience in web-based application development and using database management systems in application development
- At least two years work experience with project management, system analysis, and application/system design
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.