Program Aide – Event Usher at Miami University
Posting DateAugust 10, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5623 – PT/Temporary – Classified (hourly)
Miami Ushers provide a safe and enjoyable experience for fans & guests of Miami University through applying policies and procedures and efficiently operating events. Performs activities related to providing correct seating and first-line crowd control at University special events. Ushers also support the mission of the University and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics by assisting in institutional compliance with NCAA and Conference rules and regulations. Performs activities related to providing correct seating and first-line crowd control at University special events.
- Greeting and engaging guests and event staff
- Providing information regarding Miami athletic events and facilities
- Ensuring venue safety and security
- Performing roles including, but not limited to: Ticket Scanner, Parking Attendant, Security/Bag Checks, Golf Cart Shuttle Driver, Greeter, Bowl Attendant.
- Inspects and sets up gates and turnstiles before event; breaks down and stores at the conclusion of event.
- Monitors flow of patrons; enforces rules and regulations before, during, and after event.
- Solves seating and other problems; ensures that persons are in proper seat.
- Seats handicapped persons; handles VIP seating.
- Takes attendance reading from turnstile at end of event; reports attendance to supervisor.
- No athletic experience required.
- Additional duties as required by the Usher Supervisor
- Ability to follow directions & work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to walk & stand for a minimum of 4 hours and lift up to 20 pounds.
- Possess a valid state driver’s license
- Prior experience as an usher, ticket taker, or event staff member
- Experience using technology including but not limited to: ticket scanners, ShiftPlanning scheduling software, composing & responding to emails, & Kronos timekeeping software
- Customer Service experience and professionalism
- Punctuality, able to work in a fast-paced environment and quickly adapt
- Skills in written, oral, and interpersonal communications.
Requires a high school education or GED. No experience required
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.