Personnel Technician at Miami University
Posting DateFebruary 17, 2017
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID: 3834 -SATSS – FT (Hourly)
Reporting to the Director of Employment, this position assists with posting and filling student employment positions. Responsible for creating and maintaining student employee personnel records in Banner (HRIS). Responsible to work in collaboration with Miami Payroll Department and to audit student employment data.
- Provide guidance to hiring departments regarding Student Employment policies and procedures. Review requests to fill vacant positions and post on-line
- Review job offer requests submitted by hiring departments. Ensure that information is complete and accurate and that students are eligible to work
- Monitor Federal Work Study usage to ensure compliance with federal regulations; coordinate and monitor merit raises for University student employees
- Enter information into Banner HR and Payroll modules to activate employees for payroll. Enter demographics, job assignments, compensation, and tax. Review information for correctness and resolve any issues
- Reviews all requests for payments. Consult with the department regarding any discrepancies or issues. Flag payments with potential wage and hour issues for review
- Responsible for proofing and auditing the payroll and resolving any discrepancies
- Produce ad hoc reports in order to verify and streamline processes
- Communicate with other university offices; answering questions and resolving issues
- Train others regarding the hiring system and employment regarding data entry of records; audit entries entered by other staff and make any corrections
Requires twelve months of coursework or training beyond high school in Business Administration and two years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and expertise. Related experience includes excellent verbal and written communication skills; organization skills; ability to work independently and multitask; ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality; and possess a high level of data entry and computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and web-based database products. Ability to maintain the confidential information required.
Knowledge of Banner HR/Payroll Module, HireTouch, Federal College Work Study program, FERPA, and previous experience working in an HR Office performing employment functions.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html.
Criminal background check required.
All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.