Open Tenure Faculty Position, Department of Engineering Education at The Ohio State University
Posting DateOctober 21, 2016
Location of Position
Our newly formed Department of Engineering Education (EED) (http://eed.osu.edu) is expanding its core team of faculty. The Department’s mission includes advancing the engineering profession and enabling student success by 1) integrating pedagogical discovery, practice, and dissemination through world-class engineering education research 2) modeling and advocating scholarly, evidence-based teaching within the College of Engineering; and 3) developing and delivering state-of-the-art, innovative, multidisciplinary engineering courses and programs. The EED has a curriculum centered around first-year core courses, technical communication, multi-disciplinary capstone, and other specialized courses and programs. The EED is currently developing its Ph.D., M.S., and Certificate programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Ohio State University invites applications for an Assistant/Associate/Full Professor position to start August 2017. We are seeking education innovators who will help build and lead this new department. Successful candidates will conduct significant engineering education research, build our graduate program by developing engaging courses, and continue to grow our significant undergraduate fundamentals courses. Candidates will be encouraged to collaborate across campus with other engineering disciplines, as well as outside of engineering, and throughout the community. Joint appointments with other disciplines will be encouraged. The Department seeks candidates with research interests and experience in emerging areas of engineering education that prepare students for practice in both academic and non-academic sectors.
Summary of Duties:
- Establish a world-class funded research program
- Disseminate research results in peer-reviewed publications
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses
- Develop undergraduate and graduate courses and curricula
- Participate in various service areas including department and college committees
- Represent EED to the general engineering education community
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in an engineering discipline, engineering education, education, or equivalent field from an accredited institution of higher education
- Experience in conducting research in innovative and burgeoning areas of engineering education
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and service
- Capacity and interest to mentor undergraduate, graduate, and (for senior hires) early-career faculty in engineering education
- Ability to collaborate with diverse, cross-cutting teams and to form new communities of engagement and research in engineering education
- Interest in engaging actively with other engineering departments and colleges at OSU
- Connections and experience with industry partners
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vita, statements of teaching and research interests, and names and contact information of three references in one PDF document via the link below.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2016 or until the positions are filled.
The Ohio State University is committed to establishing a culturally and intellectually diverse environment, encouraging all members of our learning community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career families and strongly promote work-life balance to support our community members through a suite of institutionalized policies. We are an NSF Advance Institution, a member of the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC), and have an excellent partner in The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.