Network Engineer I at Miami University
Posting DateOctober 12, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID6450 – F/T – Unclassified (salaried)
This position is responsible for the implementation and support of network systems, structured cabling systems, campus video distribution system and integrated technical systems in support of Miami University’s academic, research and business missions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the planning and design of network systems in accordance with university standards.
- Provide, install, troubleshoot and support wired and wireless network access devices, and other structured cabling systems for inside plant services.
- Provide end-user technical support and access provisioning for network access devices.
- Assist in the design of network switch topology and associated structured cabling systems.
- Assist in the design, installation, and support for campus-wide security camera systems.
- Assist in the installation and support for video distribution and streaming devices.
- Assist in the design, installation, and support for digital signage systems.
- Assist in analyzing system issues and improving digital signage operations.
- Maintain network documentation and databases for network access devices, digital signage, and security cameras systems.
- Implement new installation and movement of remote locations throughout Miami University. This includes installation of network access devices, digital signage and security camera systems.
- Ensure assigned equipment and systems in telecommunication spaces and assigned areas are in good condition, operating as designed and are properly maintained.
- Serve as a team member, active participant and contributor for IT initiatives and projects.
- Communicate technical information and support to team members and other institution-wide staff.
- Assist with service disruptions including classification, prioritization, and initiation of action, documentation of facts, analysis of root cause, and implementation of remedies.
- Maintain accurate records, resolve customer service requests including help desk tickets as applicable.
- Maintain focus on the highest levels of service and customer satisfaction.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Carry a mobile phone and maintain availability for on-call rotation. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must have the ability to drive service vehicles.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Require Associates degree in Computer Systems, Engineering or related field earned by date of hire.
- Require basic experience supporting or designing a large-scale multi-building network environment.
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.