Mobile Developer- Intermediate at The Ohio State University
Posting DateApril 23, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
About the Web and Mobile Team
We are looking for a passionate, driven Mobile developer to add to our current team. Our products are used by the majority of our 60,000 students, faculty, staff, alumni, and Buckeyes far and wide.
As a part of the team you will help create and deliver a seamless and positive experience across The Ohio State University, for students, faculty, and staff. You’ll be critical to ensuring products are excellent and align with our teams’ goals as well as university goals. You’ll have the opportunity to impact the university and we’ll do everything we can to support that mission.
Our Team’s Guiding Principles:
•Make users’ lives easier
• Deliver useful features over noise
• Respond to every single feedback thoughtfully
• Make the experience more awesome, always
• Discover, adapt, and reflect
• You can change the university
Responsibilities of the Mobile Developer include developing and maintaining our native mobile apps. We write our iOS apps in 100% Swift and our Android app in Kotlin and Java. Our apps support the latest frameworks from Apple and Google and adopt new technologies as they are introduced. We strive to produce the best University apps in the world.
A key part of your responsibilities will include communicating with designers and engineers on the Web and Mobile teams as well as other departments and colleges throughout the university. The team also provides ongoing daily support and incident resolution for our Web and Mobile applications as required.
What we believe:
- Culture matters more than anything else. We all want to help students and make the University a great place to be.
- Training and development in whatever field you’re pursuing, and we actively encourage and support everyone on our team to be forward looking.
- In you. We trust you to get work done and to take breaks when you need them.
The Ohio State University is committed to the success of a person in this position, and have outlined that commitment with essential goals, provided below:
- Analyzes and validates complex system requirements and existing business processes and information systems.
- Designs, develops and implements new programs and/or modifications of existing applications.
- Responsible for the more complex designs, prototypes and other methodologies for new and/or existing systems including the development and implementation of test plans and program specifications with various interfaces.
- Participates in the production support of existing application through the use of the Systems Development Life Cycle support model: root-core analysis of reported problems; identification of potential solutions and associated efforts; design, development and unit test of solutions; design and code reviews of other analysts / developers solutions.
- Assists in leading all aspects of applications programming and development.
- Evaluates and provides technical solutions to complex application development problems.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, documents and implements complex software applications securely; defines and develops specifications and programs complex technical modules, applications, prototypes and computer programs.
The Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Office of Distance Education and eLearning aims to foster a community of professionals with diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds who actively collaborate to support the mission of The Ohio State University. We are committed to personal and professional growth of individuals as they achieve their highest potential and support others along the way. In an ever-changing technology landscape our employees are flexible, innovative, and adept problem-solvers.
There are two positions available with this posting.
Desired qualifications include experience with:
- Micro-service architectures
- Production support
- Building and running node.js services
- Redis/Couchbase as a cache and transactional data store
The successful candidate for this position will have demonstrated success in several areas, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering or equivalent education or experience
- 2-5+ years’ experience in a professional programming position.
- You’ll have proven, real world experience with:
- Swift, Java/Android, iOS SDK, Android SDK
- Implementing RESTful webservices using JSON, SOAP, XML, etc.
- Source control tools such as Subversion, Maven or Git.
- Unit testing libraries and methodologies.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.