Manager of Graphic Design at Miami University
Posting DateMarch 15, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Manager of Graphic Design is responsible for maintaining graphics standards in internal and external print and web publishing. This position is part of the Advancement Communications, Marketing, and Events staff within the Division of University Advancement and reports to the Assistant Vice President of Advancement Communications, Marketing, and Events.
- Serves as the in-house manager graphic designer for the Division of University Advancement, serving the areas of alumni relations, development, and stewardship and donor relations
- Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President, create engaging design for websites, email templates, social media, videos, and multimedia graphics; design, layout, and package for production print materials. Print materials include but are not limited to: newsletters, invitations, brochures and other promotional materials, print advertising, mailings, event collateral (signs, name badges, programs, etc.) and event displays
- Create original artwork, as needed, for University Advancement publications, while working within both the division and university brand frameworks and guidelines
- Adhere to a fast-paced, multi-client production schedule to ensure timely delivery of creative for client deadlines
- Work with outside vendors to complete University Advancement projects, including printing and mailing vendors, marketing and graphic design vendors, and freelance artists
- Art direct photography and video production shoots as needed
- Provide creative direction, in collaboration with the AVP, on divisional print and multimedia projects in the area of alumni relations, development and stewardship and donor relations
- Provide day to day project oversight for all graphic projects
- Manage graphic designers, student interns and any freelancers
- A. in Fine Arts, Speech Communications, Marketing or related field with 3-5 years graphic design experience. A combination of education and experience (including internships, co-ops and freelance work) may be considered
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Creativity, organization, deadline-driven enthusiasm, and an ability to articulate the mission of Miami University in print and online graphic design
- Possesses strong conceptual skills, high level of design, layout and typography; a broad thinker who is able to offer a variety of design approaches
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, especially in relation to clients and bringing their ideas to life through design
- Strong typography, layout design, and production skills
- Fine art, drawing, photography or other specialized skill expected
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, problem-solving, and organizational skills. Ability to handle constructive criticism and client preference in a professional manner
- Provide an online portfolio of samples indicated above
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint
- Willingness to work on weekends and/or extended hours as necessary
- Master’s degree of Fine Arts
- Letter press experience
- Professional experience as an in-house graphic designer for ad agency, marketing firm, or printer
- HTML, word press and motion picture graphics a plus
- Management experience
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco-free.