Human Resource Specialist at The Ohio State University
Posting DateSeptember 21, 2018
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
The College of Education and Human Ecology at The Ohio State University is looking for a Human Resource Specialist to join its HR team!
About the EHE Human Resources
At the College of Education and Human Ecology, we want all of our employees to have a positive experience every day of their Ohio State careers. The EHE Human Resources team is here to deliver Excellence in everything that we do.
We specialize in creating an environment where staff can accomplish their goals and support a culture where great work can be done by great people. We provide strategic direction and execution of performance management, professional development, new employee orientation, employee relations, compensation and benefits for EHE faculty, staff and students.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Human Resource Specialist supports administration of the daily operational activities and duties of the human resources team while providing oversight to various college-wide HR initiatives. This role collaborates with the HR team to ensure that HR functions are processed in an organized and timely manner. To achieve this, the role serves as the first-level approval for all Human Resources Action (HRA) requests, verifying that the appropriate information and required documentation is included.
In addition to the transactional responsibilities of the role, the HR Specialist assists in the business process of data analysis and interpretation of information to support strategic decision-making and improved process efficiencies college-wide. This includes the identification and assistance in the development of appropriate data visualization tools to conduct and present analysis to stakeholders within the college and across the university. Also, the position assists with the coordination of the EHE HR student employment program and in the preparation and analysis of information for special projects, initiatives, and programs.
Finally, the HR Specialist plays a significant role in the coordination of the application process for the EHE HR team through various activities such as screening candidates, coordinating advertisement activities, collecting interview documentation and dispositioning applicants in the university’s Applicant Tracking System.
The EHE Human Resources team is one of the premier HR teams at The Ohio State University. We’re made up of four HR Specialist, five HR Generalists and a rotational HR student employment program. Under the direction of the HR Director, we support the College’s variety of departments and centers in their mission to grow educators, researchers and professionals that will shape academic success and health and wellness for generations to come.
In the first 60 to 90 days of employment, the successful candidate for this position will accomplish the following:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of college/university policy and procedures
- Process HRAs for assigned departments in an accurate and timely manner
- Assist in the development and implementation of the EHE HR Dashboard
- Develop an understanding of the EHE Talent Acquisition Philosophy and assist in the hiring process
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education/experience
- At least three years of professional fundraising experience or professional transferable experience (i.e. managing relationships with required measurable output, making calls, conducting face-to-face appointments, creating and presenting proposals, and other fundamental elements of client relationship or sales-related activities)
The selected candidate for this position will have demonstrated success in several areas, including:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience with a focus in Human Resources, Project Management, or Data.
- At least of three years of HR administrative experience
- A minimum of two years effectively communicating with a diverse employee and customer base
- A minimum of two years working with an HRIS system, preferably the University PeopleSoft system
- Working knowledge of university/college HR policies and procedures
- PHR certification and experience developing and executing within a project management framework and methodology
- Considerable experience in database management and analytics, preferably R, SAS or a similar platform
- Significant experience using Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to problem solve, take initiative, and provide recommendations to complete job tasks.
Previous Ohio State University experience is strongly preferred, but not required.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.