Human Resource Generalist at Miami University
Posting DateMarch 16, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5410 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
The Human Resources Generalist serves a liaison to departments regarding human resource needs. Consults regarding departmental/employee issues and recommends solutions/resources. Monitors compliance. Provides recruitment and retention guidance. Cultivates community partnerships and interviews; hires entry-level positions.
- Develops creative recruitment strategies necessary to attract talent. Attends and may conduct job fairs, establishes partner relationships with schools, employers and other groups to aid in the recruitment and retention of qualified staff. Interviews and recommends candidates for entry level positions.
- Serve as liaison to assigned departments for all human resource matters. Analyzes concerns, works collaboratively to resolve issues and/or escalates as necessary.
- Develops and maintains statistical data to track progress of position, hire activity and employee movement. Interprets contract, University and/or civil service language as it applies to recruitment or retention issues.
- Trouble shoots departmental or staff issues and recommends appropriate course of action. Develops, owns and/or works on special projects; serves on committees.
- Collaborates regarding compensation needs. Conducts employee job audits, analyze data results and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Review and process transactions in the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and/or Human Resources Information System (HRIS) database. Assist departments in compiling and processing job postings, employee and position transactions, and job offers.
- Ensures proper processing of new hire transactions, job offers, and on-boarding of new employees. May conduct exit interviews.
Bachelor's degree and at least two years of experience in Human Resources or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience is necessary. Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to communicate with tact.
PHR or SPHR Certification. HR experience in a university or public employment setting. Experience working with HRIS, applicant tracking, and Timekeeping systems such as Banner, HireTouch, and Kronos. Prior recruiting experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics
Knowledge of unit's operations, policies, and procedures; supervisory skills; knowledge of computer and office applications; research skills.
Requires nine months of coursework or training beyond high school in Business Administration and three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and expertise.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.