HR Generalist at Miami University
Posting DateSeptember 27, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID: 6402 – Unclassified – FT
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for administering, evaluating and providing guidance as well as practical application of the Transitional Work Program (TWP), ADA accommodations and all leave processes for Miami University. The individual will conduct investigations and serve as a hearing officer for pre-disciplinary attendance issues and any others as assigned. Will serve as an auditor of classified time and attendance reporting relative to leaves. Will serve as a backup for FMLA, Unemployment and Workers Compensation as well.
- ADA Accommodation oversight, administration, and communication through an interactive process between the employee, physicians and university management to ensure compliance with law and university policies and procedures. – 30% of time
- Transitional Work Program (TWP) – Monitors need for TWP and manages this process ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations and processes. – 25% of time
- Investigates issues as determined by Labor Relations Director that could violate university policy. Determines who to interview, collects information, writes report and submits findings to Director. – 10% of time
- Hearing Officer for pre-disciplinary attendance hearings and any others as assigned. Facilitates the hearing between management and employee. Documents findings in a report, makes determinations regarding violations, and recommends to management appropriate action. – 25% of time
- Audits all classified time and attendance reports prior to bi-weekly payroll run relative to leaves, including audit and maintenance of records in Banner. – 5% of time
- Develops and assists in delivering training to employees as directed. – 5% of time
- All other duties as assigned
- Must be capable of sitting, standing, stooping, bending, squatting, and/or twisting for ongoing periods of time.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience (in the areas described below) or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
The ideal candidate will have the following prior job experience:
- Working knowledge and understanding of the ADA process
- Working knowledge and understanding of FMLA process and regulations
- Working knowledge and understanding of Investigations and Labor Relations process
- Demonstrated Customer Service skills with ability to navigate sensitive situations with employees at all organizational levels
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http :// www. MiamiOH edu/c ampus-safe tv/annual-rep ort/ index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.