Fund Accountant at Miami University
Posting DateApril 23, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Compliance and Gift Processing, this position will have responsibility for the continued improvement and enhancement of the University Advancement financial structure. This position will continually partner with other members of the UA team to foster relationships between the university and our constituents through the use of information. This position will ensure the fund accounting needs of UA and its campus partners are being met in an accurate and efficient manner while also helping the team to understand how to best utilize the information. The review of fund documentation and the approval of new fund establishment are key tasks that this position will fulfill. Additionally, this position will be responsible for the completion of reporting needs including, but not limited to: assist with completion of annual endowment report process, annual departmental fund audits and preparation of related audit report for upper management, and various stewardship reports (such as grant reporting and compliance reporting).
- Review and approve fund structure and pledge type for new gift designations, based on review of supporting documentation and knowledge and research of FASB and GASB accounting rules
- Ensure final coding and fund setup reconcile with documentation
- Conduct fund departmental audits
- Assist UA Research Department with internal reporting
- Assist UA team members with grant and compliance reporting
- Collaborate with various UA offices to understand their information and business needs and develop innovative and effective procedures as they relate to fund accounting
- Partner with UA team members to develop appropriate policies and procedures
- Perform detailed review of endowment balances for year-end reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience with GASB/FASB accounting standards and/or Not for Profit accounting
- Ability to identify exchange transactions, conditional gifts, and planned gifts
- Experience working in higher education or other not-for-profit institution
- Experience with CASE gift standards
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.