Food Service Assistant at Miami University
Posting DateMay 22, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job No. 495392- FT (Hourly)
Performs a variety of tasks related to assisting in the preparation and serving of meals for University students and guests.
- Prepares kitchen and dining area which may include stocking/setting up grill, salad bar, condiment bar beverage stations, dessert stations, changing oil, brews beverages.
- Maintains clean and sanitary work area, especially in kitchen and dining areas which may include sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning tables, countertops, and machines or washing dishes and utensils. Ensures safety of food and food contact surfaces while maintaining sanitation standards. Observes strict safety rules.
- Prepares food for cooking which may include cleaning and peeling potatoes, cutting salad bar items, wrapping food, or preparing sandwiches.
- May stock serving line and/or serve food; monitors condition of items in both un-refrigerated and refrigerated settings such as salad bars; may operate cash register.
- Reads and interprets recipes to mix, prepare and assemble salads, desserts, dressings & special menu items; cooks pasta, potatoes, eggs, stir-fry food, makes sandwiches. May include the use of deep fat fryers, grills, steamers and/or ovens and other kitchen equipment; records temperature, monitors and records amounts prepared/amounts left over.
- Maintains all food items at proper temperatures as instructed.
- Responds to client requests for service, special diets, as well as other information in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Assists in providing guidance to other employees in the performance of their duties; coordinates efficient workflow and instructs in the proper use of equipment and utensils.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. No experience required
- Knowledge of basic food preparation techniques
- Knowledge of sanitation techniques
- Ability to understand and follow directions
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225.