Food Service Assistant at Miami University
Posting DateAugust 10, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 5894 – AFSCME – FT (Hourly)
Location varies to include Ala Carte, Dining Commons, or Demske Culinary Support Centers. Performs a variety of tasks related to assisting in the preparation and serving of meals, including specialty beverages, for University students and guests.
- Prepares kitchen and dining areas which may include stocking/setting up grill, salad bar, condiment bar, beverage stations, dessert stations, changing oil, etc.
- Maintains clean and sanitary work, especially in kitchen and dining areas which may include: sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning tables, countertops, and machines; washing dishes and utensils. Ensures safety of food, beverages, and food contact surfaces while maintaining sanitation standards. Observes strict safety rules. Follows health, safety, and sanitation guidelines.
- Prepares food and beverages for cooking/service which may include cleaning and peeling potatoes, cutting salad bar items, wrapping food, preparing sandwiches, and brews beverages.
- Stocks serving line and/or serves food & beverages; monitors condition of items in both unrefrigerated and refrigerated settings such as display cases, salad bars, and coolers.
- Reads and interprets recipes to measure and mix ingredients to craft quality beverages, prepare and assemble salads, desserts, dressings & special menu items; cooks pasta, potatoes, eggs, stir-fry food, makes sandwiches. May include the use of deep fat fryers, grills, steamers and/or ovens and other kitchen equipment; records temperature, monitors and records amounts prepared/consumed/ left over.
- Maintains all food and beverage items at proper temperatures as instructed.
- Responds to client requests for service, special diets, as well as other information in a friendly and helpful manner. Uses cues to anticipate customer needs.
- Assists in providing guidance to other employees in the performance of their duties; coordinates efficient work flow and instructs in the proper use of equipment and utensils; serves as informational resource to student employees and other staff
- May perform all Point Of Sale functions.
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of basic food and beverage preparation techniques; knowledge of sanitation standards; ability to understand and follow directions; ability to perform basic math including fractions, ratios, and decimals.
Requires a High school diploma or GED. No experience required. May be expected to complete and pass the Starbucks Barista Training Program/Certification successfully within the first week of employment.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annualreport/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.