Finance Change Manager at The Ohio State University
Posting DateAugust 30, 2018
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
About The Enterprise Project
The Enterprise Project is a business process transformation and system implementation that will leverage Workday and other enterprise technologies to advance Ohio State’s Time and Change strategic plan and teaching, research, service and patient care missions. It includes optimizing finance, HR, payroll, student services and IT business processes; replacing core administrative systems (currently PeopleSoft) with Workday; and improving decision-making through a single source of trusted administrative data.
Modern systems. More efficient processes. A better work day.
At its core, the Enterprise Project will change the way the university does business. By leveraging modern systems and more efficient processes, Ohio State faculty, physicians, staff and students can spend more time on mission-driven work, and less on administrative tasks. Our current administrative systems are outdated and inefficient. They cause inflexibility in business processes, and business and technical risk due to their age and customization. Updating these systems and the processes together provides tremendous opportunity to move Ohio State forward.
Resources for resourceful people.
Your time is important. Period. The Enterprise Project will give you tools and resources to maximize your time in the classroom, laboratory, hospital or office. Through improved self-service tools and easier access to trusted business data, you will truly be able to make the most of your day.
A single system for the entire organization.
Ohio State is implementing Workday for the university and Wexner Medical Center’s financial, human resources, payroll and student information systems. That means one system for all of your Ohio State business support needs: one version and one experience for one Ohio State community.
The Ohio State University, one of the nation's leading public universities, is seeking applications for a Finance Organizational Change Management (OCM) Manager. The Finance Change Manager provides organizational change management support for the Enterprise Project, a business process transformation and system implementation. This is one of the most visible and complex initiatives undertaken by the university.
The Finance Change Manager is a key role on the project's OCM team, dedicated to effectively partnering with campus and medical center Finance staff and providing change management strategies for all Finance changes. Reporting to the OCM Director, the Finance Change Manager will closely collaborate with Finance staff and leaders, and lead a team of (3) Change Analysts.
Among the many responsibilities, the Finance Change Manager will:
- Oversee the identification of impacts related to Finance process and policy changes, while learning future state processes and system functionality
- Oversee the documentation of detailed change impacts and plans for change strategies
- Align key decisions to the project’s governance framework
- Work closely with other managers to coordinate cross-campus impacts, and dependencies
- Support the OCM team's effort to develop readiness materials, and conduct readiness sessions in partnership with the Business Process team and business leaders
- Facilitate the review of readiness materials with SME's to ensure appropriate content and delivery for users
The Finance Change Manager will leverage the various areas of OCM, SME’s and the Enterprise Project business process teams to provide the best organizational change management for Ohio State.
Join a high performing, dynamic team that encourages ideas to be shared and acted upon on a daily basis. Have the opportunity to learn from respected leaders in the field of higher education and change management while gaining valuable experience at a complex and leading institution. Be an integral part of Ohio State’s Enterprise Project, which is transforming how business is done at The Ohio State University – driving a new way of doing business for a top land grant institution.
To fill this position, you will need to be a strategic leader with progressive work experience and have a breadth of knowledge in change management and/or organizational development. The Ohio State University is committed to the success of a person in this position, and have outlined that commitment with essential goals, provided below:
- Manages work efforts for effective organizational change management in support of the implementation of the Enterprise Project, with a focus on the Finance business area.
- Provides input on and assists in the execution of the OCM strategy and all strategies that roll up to the overall OCM strategy (e.g. communications, learning, stakeholder engagement).
- Responsible and accountable for the coordination and delivery of change management strategies for the Finance changes, including but not limited to Finance change plans, stakeholder change plans, marketing and communications, stakeholder engagement, learning and performance, and readiness materials.
- Engages with university community Finance sponsors, leaders and advisory groups on fully envisioning best practices to maximize user adoption.
- Manages the Finance Change Analysts (3 resources) which will consist of OSU employees.
- Responsible and accountable for Finance OCM work plan management and tracking.
- Manages resources including identifying needs, assisting in posting positions, interviewing candidates and providing feedback on on-site scheduling and performance.
- Assigns responsibilities to dedicated staff members and provides ongoing coaching. Works with the OCM Director to identify and provide opportunities for OCM education and development for direct reports.
- Executes project plans, secures resources and drives change management strategies; collaborates effectively across teams to execute on objectives and create deliverables to successfully drive change.
- Oversees efforts to collect and analyze change impacts, risks and stakeholder surveys across Finance.
- Works closely with the OCM managers, and others, on university community outreach and communication plans and needs.
- Collects metrics and key performance indicators to track and confirm the realization of project goals.
Workday and Higher Education experiences; ProSci certification.
The successful candidate for this position will have demonstrated success in several areas, including:
- 5-7 years of experience in two or more of the following:
- project management
- organizational change management
- organizational development
- organizational psychology
- learning and development
- Familiarity with Ohio State Finance staff and leaders, and knowledge of Ohio State Finance business processes.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and credibility across the university and medical center.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with employees, peers, executive leadership, customers, vendors, technical team members, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the complexity of the Enterprise Project, and to manage several initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to think strategically about what is best for the institution.
Our goal is to foster a community of professionals with diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds who actively collaborate to support the mission of the Ohio State University. We are committed to personal and professional growth of individuals as they achieve their highest potential and support others along the way. In an ever-changing technology landscape our employees are flexible, innovative, and adept problem-solvers.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.