Engineering Technician Senior at The University of Akron
Posting DateFebruary 26, 2019
Location of Position
Located in Akron, Ohio, The University of Akron (UA) is one of the largest employers in the region and offers an array of employment opportunities. Here you'll find a metropolitan setting that places you in the heart of a dynamic, regional economy and in sync with the pulse of business, government and the community.
We're committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff by including individuals from varied backgrounds and characteristics, including age, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, national origin, sexual orientation and socioeconomic background. We're also committed to offering competitive salary and benefits packages to qualified candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary functions for the Engineering Technician Senior will be to provide technical services to support the department's research and teaching efforts including, but not limited to machine-instruction, safety training, maintenance of equipment, design, machining, 3D printing, fabrication and recommendation through the installation of new equipment. The technician is also expected to provide assistance to faculty and students while promoting compliance with safety regulations.
- Instruct students and faculty in the appropriate use of machinery, electronic instruments and computers hardware/software. Perform various design, machining, 3D printing, fabrication and troubleshooting procedures.
- Recommend, maintain, install, troubleshoot and repair technical equipment.
- Consult with vendors and oversees purchasing activities to properly secure technical items, supplies, and equipment for the department.
- Monitor specific environmental, health and safety regulations and coordinate with other units on campus. Provide support in terms of CAD/CAM and printing operations.
- Responsible for directing and monitoring the work of student and/or temporary workers.
Application deadline: March 2, 2019
- 48 months of education or training beyond high school and 4 years of experience in machining and component design.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in hardware repairs and machining.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills are required.
- Knowledge of CNC hardware and software, as well as manual machining equipment, is required.
- Experience in part design and fabrication using mills, lathes, drill press, and sheet metal work is required.
- Knowledge of Windows computers, machine tool and die making and troubleshooting of undergraduate laboratory equipment is required.
- The department has extensive facilities in 3-D printing, therefore, experience in 3D printing software/hardware and SolidWorks will be a definite plus.
- Journeyman machinist
Application deadline: March 26, 2019.
For complete position details, click the Apply Here above and enter Job ID #11537
The University of Akron is an equal education and employment institution. It is the policy of this institution that there shall be no unlawful discrimination against any individual in employment or in its programs or activities at The University of Akron because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status or status as a veteran. The University is also committed to the principles of affirmative action and acts in accordance with state and federal laws.