Endpoint and Security Engineer at The Ohio State University
Posting DateAugust 8, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
The Ohio State University College of Dentistry is the fourth largest public dental school in the United States and it is the only public dental school in Ohio. The college is divided into ten divisions with all major ADA-recognized dental specialties represented. The College has approximately 600 students in its undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Ohio State University is proud to be a premier employer that provides an exceptional total rewards package including medical, dental, vision and many other “hidden” benefits. Our competitive benefits package is offered to all eligible faculty and staff in order to attract, develop and retain top performers eager to share their talent, time and success. Our benefits support your health and financial goals and include not only health insurance, but also generous state retirement, tuition assistance for our employees and their dependents, wellness initiatives, and much more. Please visit https://hr.osu.edu/benefits/ for detailed information. Be your best at The Ohio State University!
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate IT Director, InfoSec and Risk Management, the Endpoint and Security Engineer will implement and maintain systems and tools that manage all Advancement end user systems and imaging processes. The ideal candidate will work as part of a team environment on the management of on-premise and cloud desktop technologies, package software applications to distribute to end user systems, review new hardware and software as released by vendors and work with the Security and Risk Management team to remediate vulnerabilities and maintain secure end user systems in compliance with university and industry standard benchmarks
This position interacts with all Advancement staff as needed to define roadmap for end user systems and OS upgrades and provides escalation point for third level support to service desk technicians to resolve significant issues. The Endpoint and Security Engineer is expected to have the ability to work with customers to deliver services and resolve issues with little to no supervision; have inter-personal skills communicating effectively verbally and in writing; be proficient with Windows OS, Mac OS, Mobile OS?s, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other industry standard productivity applications.
All members of Advancement are part of creating an inclusive culture that inspires an exceptionally diverse and talented team and are measured on their adherence to the following core competencies: leadership, continuous improvement, teamwork and collaboration, and communication/interpersonal effectiveness.
- 45% – Uses SCCM, JAMF, and other industry standard tools to deploy software, software updates, & OS images. Remediates end point vulnerabilities and implements group policy and security settings in accordance with university and industry standard benchmarks.
- 30% – Interact with all Advancement staff as needed to define roadmap for end user systems and OS upgrades. Provides third level support for Advancement IT as needed.
- 20% – Serves as Advancement’s account coordinator working with business owners to conduct annual reviews of all Advancement system account lists.
- 5% – Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer-related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 5 years’ experience with building and maintaining system images and software deployments using SCCM;
Desired Qualifications include:
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administration Associate
- JAMF 200 Course certification
- Working knowledge of supporting end-user computers in a LAN environment; working knowledge of TCP/IP and networking
- 1 year exposure to industry standard (CIS, NIST, ISO 27001, etc.) information security processes and concepts.
- 2 years of project management/consulting experience.
- Experience working in an Agile SCRUM environment.
- 2 years’ experience building dashboards.
- 2 years of experience conducting forecasting models.
In accordance with the Disaster Preparedness and University State of Emergency Policy 6.17 this position has been designated as a standby position.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, and protected veteran status.