Director, Prospect Development at The Ohio State University
Posting DateMay 2, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Ohio State University is seeking a Director to serve as the leader of its robust Prospect Development department. Prospect Development serves approximately 150 front-line fundraisers across 31 fundraising units at the university, supporting university-wide fundraising activities via best practices in research and prospect management. The insights generated by this team have propelled the university to hit record fundraising amounts, including last fiscal year when a 14% increase in giving led to $601M in gifts to Ohio State.
The Director will lead full application and integration of research and prospect management resources, set priorities, goals, and vision for the prospect development team, and drive innovation in products and services. The position leads a strong team of 23+ prospect development professionals, with 2-3 direct reports running day-to-day operations, and reports to the Assistant Vice President, Strategy and Administration.
While the successful candidate will be an experienced prospect development professional with emphasis in both research and prospect management disciplines, they should also have the ability to develop positive relationship and work effectively with a variety of leaders, colleagues, and clients. They will collaborate with Advancement colleagues to create and implement organizational strategies that ensure effective utilization of prospect development resources, drive change and continuous improvement across the organization by focusing on the application of data analytics and data-driven decision-making, and build strategic partnerships and participates in various Advancement initiatives.
All members of Advancement are part of creating an inclusive culture that inspires an exceptionally diverse and talented team and are measured on their adherence to the following core competencies: leadership, continuous improvement, team work and collaboration, and communication/interpersonal effectiveness.
Position highlights include opportunities to accomplish the following:
- Lead a strong, highly-motivated team
- Collaborate with Advancement leaders, Prospect Development teammates, and fundraising colleagues to further innovate the field of prospect development
- Participate as a key figure in the fundraising success of The Ohio State University
- Work with direct-reports to create strong individual professional/career development plans
First 1-3 months
- Build positive relationships with direct reports and Prospect Development team
- Become familiar with current university-wide research and prospect management activities, including projects related to campaign readiness
- Work with Prospect Development leadership team to establish FY2020 priorities and goals
First 3-6 months
- Build positive relationships with Advancement leaders and understand their strategic priorities and needs
- Understand Prospect Development’s role in the campaign
First 12 months
- Assess current research and prospect management activities, making recommendations on future revision and expansion of products and services
- Understand, refine, and add to existing plans for program/staff expansion
Requirements include the experience and ability to deliver the following results:
- Leadership of a sophisticated, collaborative team, focusing on its success as a unit and the professional development of its individuals.
- Enhancement of products and services resulting from collaboration with Prospect Development leadership, colleagues, and other Advancement personnel.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education/experience; eight years of professional fundraising experience or professional transferable experience (i.e. managing relationships with required measurable output, making calls, conducting face-to-face appointments, creating and presenting proposals, and other fundamental elements of client relationship or sales-related activities); five years management experience.
Why Join Ohio State Advancement Now?
The Ohio State University recently concluded the most successful fundraising effort in its history, with contributions from what is believed to be the most donors ever to a higher education campaign. The But for Ohio State Campaign raised over $3 billion from more than 750,000 donors, shattering the goal of $2.5 billion. Ohio State is now six months away from the public kickoff of the next campaign which coincides with the celebration of the university’s 150th birthday. All members of Advancement are part of creating an inclusive culture that inspires an exceptionally diverse and talented team and are measured on their adherence to the following core competencies: leadership, continuous improvement, teamwork and collaboration, and communication/interpersonal effectiveness.
You Need To Know
The Ohio State University is looking to make an investment in an experienced professional who will evolve the Advancement opportunities for the college and institution and therefore the salary for this position is negotiable. Aside from the unparalleled benefits of working for The Ohio State University and working in the diverse, smart, safe, fun and growing city of Columbus, Ohio, this opportunity will provide exceptional rewards that arise from working for a land grant institution where you will truly feel the impact of your work. Learn more here: https://hr.osu.edu/careers/.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.