Director of Executive Communications at Miami University
Posting DateAugust 23, 2017
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID: 4678 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
The Director of Executive Communications is responsible for developing the strategy for the Miami University president’s written, digital/interactive and verbal communications and messaging. S/he ensures articulation of the president’s goals and objectives for the University’s mission, values and strategic direction in all communications and media. The director works closely with external units including senior leadership, development, alumni relations, marketing and communications and government relations.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, English, or related field.
- At least two years’ professional experience writing executive or legislative communications.
- Experience using different media including Web, social media, and traditional environments to communicate.
- Strong writing portfolio with experience in researching topics, writing and editing varied types of content.
- Collaborative and open to input and new ideas; comfortable working in a rapid-response, team environment.
- Interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of audiences — including faculty, students, leadership, staff, alumni, community groups, donors, and elected officials.
- Nimble, flexible writer skilled in a variety of approaches for engaging audiences.
- Experience and comfort working in a deadline-driven writing environment of multiple projects and quick turn-around requirements.
- Detail-oriented with skills in time and organizational management.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite including PowerPoint, and experience in crafting messages for an executive in social tools such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Snapchat.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required.
All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.