Cook at Miami University
Posting DateMay 22, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job No. 495395 – FT (Hourly)
Prepares a wide variety of foods in large volume production quantities. Assists in providing guidance to other employees in the performance of their duties. Responsible for preparing and/or directing the preparation of food to be served complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards while following established food production programs and procedures.
- Operates standard institutional cooking and food preparation equipment in the preparation of food serving.
- Prepares, cooks and coordinates the preparation of hot and cold menu items by following standard recipes, production specifications and scheduled serving times.
- Coordinates efficient work flow and instructs others in the proper use of equipment and utensils.
- Maintains records of work performed, food temperatures and ingredients used, prep lists, SLWS, yield reports and recipe modification documentation; performs basic mathematical calculations and records information as needed.
- Maintains clean and sanitary work, kitchen and dining areas and observes strict safety rules.
- Maintains all food items at proper temperatures as instructed; follows the Ohio Revised Food Code for food safety to maintain health and sanitation standards.
- Maintains surfaces, utensils, and equipment in a clean and serviceable condition.
- Responds to client requests for service, special diets, as well as other information in a friendly, professional and helpful manner.
- Maintains high quality of food prepared and served (including timed and batch cooking principles) to assure products are ready for continuous service.
- Assists with providing guidance and training for the Assistant Cooks. May instruct Assistant Cooks in proper use and care of institutional cooking and food preparation and equipment.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned
- High School diploma or GED
- One year cooking experience in a full service operation or two years experience in other food service operation
- Successful completion of the department's Culinary Training Program or comparable training experience within two years of hire/promotion
- Current level 1 Food Safety Protection Certification, or ability to obtain the Level 1 Food Safety Certification within 4 weeks of hire/promotion
- Ability to pass POPE physical up to 50 lbs.
- Abilities to exert well-paced mobility for periods of up to 4 hours and other listed under working conditions
- High School diploma or GED
- Food Safety Level 2 Certification
- Certificate or Degree from a Culinary Arts Program
- Ability to taste, smell, and visually differentiate colors
- Ability to read, write, and clearly communicate English
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225.