Chef at Miami University
Posting DateMay 7, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 495260 – FT
Provides leadership in culinary, quality, safety, sanitation and customer service. Directs & executes food prep for on & offsite events.
- Provides leadership in culinary, quality, safety, sanitation and customer service. Directs & executes food prep for on & offsite events.
- Trains and supervises staff in all culinary skills, including the receiving and handling of food, traditional and display cooking, presentation, and service.
- Prepares high quality, visually appealing foods from large quantity scratch recipes. Employs artistry and theatrics in exhibition-style display cooking.
- Ensures that all foods are prepared, maintained, and served at proper temperatures. Adheres to strict sanitary methods of receiving, storing, preparation, chilling, and reheating foods. Monitors foods throughout this process to guarantee food safety.
- Communicates effectively with production staff, fellow members of the food service management team, building management staff, and the customers and guests.
- Observes strict safety and sanitation rules, and trains staff to ensure that departmental, university, HACCP, and other sanitation standards and safety regulations are followed.
- Assists in the requisitioning and evaluation of all foods and related supplies. Assists in maintaining appropriate inventory levels. Strives to reduce waste and to optimize the profitability of the food service unit.
- Maintains records of food usage, inventories, food temperatures, work performed, etc. Record keeping requires the use of computerized systems.
Associate’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree of an accredited culinary program, which includes a diversified curriculum encompassing all types of food preparation, or equivalent training or combination of education and 3-5 year’s experience is required. Certified in ServSafe.
Bachelor's Degree of an accredited culinary program, which includes a diversified curriculum encompassing all types of food preparation, or equivalent training
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225.