Brand Strategy Director at The Ohio State University
Posting DateNovember 6, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
The Ohio State University is proud to be a premier employer that provides an exceptional total rewards package including medical, dental, vision and many other “hidden” benefits. Our competitive benefits package is offered to all eligible faculty and staff in order to attract, develop and retain top performers eager to share their talent, time and success. Our benefits support your health and financial goals and include not only health insurance, but also generous state retirement, tuition assistance for our employees and their dependents, wellness initiatives, and much more. Please visit https://hr.osu.edu/benefits/ for detailed information. Be your best at The Ohio State University!
Duties and Responsibilities
The Brand Strategy Director is a disciplined marketer and strategic thinker responsible for identifying and translating insights into sound marketing strategies that enable the development of integrated plans in support of The Ohio State University’s goals. This individual acts as a brand champion and steward within University Marketing and the university’s broader marketing community, bringing to life audience-centric strategies, marketing plans and integrated brand experiences that drive awareness, engagement and choice with key audiences. Working in partnership with the Brand Experience team, this individual provides strategic consultation and guides the development and implementation of strategic marketing plans for initiatives and efforts across the enterprise and/or within University Marketing or units.
Reporting to and together with the Senior Director of Brand Strategy & Enterprise Marketing, the Brand Strategy Director drives strategic vision for bringing to life the Ohio State brand, is a marketing thought leader for the broader marketing community, and serves as the Senior Director’s backup when needed to include representing University Marketing at meetings and on committees. In this role, this individual serves as a catalyst and strategic integrator who both sparks and brings together ideas, individuals and execution to advance key initiatives across the University, utilizing experience in brand and marketing strategy development and integrated marketing execution to include digital marketing and presentation skills.
The Brand Strategy Director is a collaborative leader and team builder responsible for creating and maintaining strong partnerships within University Marketing and across the university at all levels and thinks holistically about peer development to include serving as a coach to colleagues across the broader marketing community. This individual serves as a catalyst and strategic integrator who both sparks and brings together ideas, individuals and execution to advance key initiatives across the University. This individual is a disciplined marketer and brand-builder with experience in developing brand and marketing strategy and setting vision for integrated marketing execution, including digital marketing, utilizing excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
All members of the Office of Advancement are part of creating an inclusive culture that inspires an exceptionally diverse and talented team and are measured on the following core competencies: leadership, continuous improvement, teamwork and collaboration, and communication/interpersonal effectiveness.
- Master’s degree in business (marketing, strategy) or a communications-related area
- Experience in relationship, client and/or account management
- Experience working with and leading teams in a complex, decentralized and/or matrix organization structure
- Experience in higher education marketing and knowledge of admissions, alumni relations and/or fundraising marketing is a plus
- The selected candidate for this position must have demonstrated success in several areas, including:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, psychology, communications or related field
- 8 years of experience in a brand management/marketing strategy, account planning and/or research role in an agency, company and/or consulting firm.
- 5 years of experience developing brand and marketing strategies that enable integrated marketing plans in alignment with organizational goals and objectives
- 3 years of experience in a brand strategy and/or brand management position focused on extending a master brand strategy across lines of business in a consultative nature
- Experience in brand positioning, segmentation, and messaging development
Application deadline November 21, 2019.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.