Associate Director of Retail Operations at Miami University
Posting DateJuly 9, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Miami University is seeking a qualified retail operations professional to oversee the daily operations of all retail locations. Identify areas of operational improvement and development. Responsibilities include to provide direction and training for retail staff, working to resolve issues that arise, facilitating exceptional customer service, and clearly communicating all expectations. Demonstrate effective management principles to lead others to achieve fiscal goals.
Key duties consist of the ability to:
- Compile data, calculate sales figures, perform analysis and draft reports to assist the Director of Retail and Marketing with Annual Operating Plan, financial performance, and budget preparations. Delivers business and category reviews, including product and merchandising initiatives, performance measures, and on-going tactical plans.
- Meet and confer with Director of Retail to regularly discuss issues, concerns, changes, plans and ideas relative to retail business needs. Recommend changes, offer suggestions and options to assist Director of Retail in store operation, planning, budgeting, goal setting and procedure implementation and change.
- Serve as a liaison with retail vendors to facilitate positive customer relations and seek resolution in collaboration with Director of Retail and other appropriate personnel.
- Direct the work of retail employees. Provide technical assistance and guidance to staff in such matters as University and departmental policies and procedures, operating methods, work rules, performance expectations, codes of conduct, customer service, and employee relations.
- Assists with all details for day to day business i.e.: promotions, price changes, and administrative issues. Maintains appropriate internal controls to ensure retail assets are safeguarded and managed to internal controls. Assist in supporting and maintaining the store’s computer systems, cash registers, and security systems.
- Facilitates and directs work activities and schedules to maximize sales, promotional activities, special events, customer service and financial performance, and ensure success of retail business. Maintains labor expense within scope of budgetary guidelines.
- Coordinates all efforts and is accountable to final results of annual internal auditing procedures, training, record keeping, etc.
- May need to assist with event and promotional installations. Regular requirements of lifting, bending, and stretching with large or awkwardly shaped boxes.
Associate's Degree in Business, Management, Finance or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or 3-5 years experience.
Successful sales and management experience with supervisory responsibility. Demonstrates Retail knowledge as it relates to inventory control, point of purchase, etc. Working knowledge of P&L statements and industry related metrics. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate in both oral and written form. Ability to work well with a team. Ability to lead and direct the work of others. Maintains high level attention to detail. Ability to work with level of confidentiality as it pertains to special event items, vendor contracts, and sensitive customer information.
Bachelor's Degree in Business, Management, Finance
Experience working in a University Environment. Multi-unit experience. Experience managing third party relationships (vendors, contracts).
Will need to heavily influence policy writing and procedures for annual inventory reviews against Internal Auditing standards.
Day-to-day management of third party textbooks relationship as it pertains to faculty, staff, and students. Providing general guidance and connecting the correct people and resources to ensure successful course material purchase satisfaction. Manage staff and resources appropriately to flex during textbook purchase and buyback times.
Competitive compensation and outstanding benefits package compliment this position.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.