Assoc. BI Administrator/Developer at The Ohio State University
Posting DateSeptember 25, 2019
Location of Position
For 144 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The university's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
The Ohio State University is proud to be a premier employer that provides an exceptional total rewards package including medical, dental, vision and many other “hidden” benefits. Our competitive benefits package is offered to all eligible faculty and staff in order to attract, develop and retain top performers eager to share their talent, time and success. Our benefits support your health and financial goals and include not only health insurance, but also generous state retirement, tuition assistance for our employees and their dependents, wellness initiatives, and much more. Please visit https://hr.osu.edu/benefits/ for detailed information. Be your best at The Ohio State University!
Duties and Responsibilities
This Assoc. BI Administrator/Developer position will help realize the design and build of ETL, ELT, and other data movement processes for the new Data Lake / Data Warehouse being designed by the Business Intelligence, Analytics, and Reporting (BAR) project team. As a part of the Workday project, the BAR team is tasked with advancing our data and reporting environments using modern technology. The implementation will include a multi-tenant cloud ERP solution as well as a new data and reporting environment that will meet the business needs of the university, health system, and other entities. This is an exciting time to join our team as we focus on creating a modern data analytics architecture backed by big data tools such as AWS Redshift, S3, Glue, and Python. This role should have some familiarity with concepts and designs for processing data in an analytics environment. The candidate should also be familiar with programming languages such as Python and/or shell scripting. The candidate should have a firm grasp of the SQL query language and understanding how to navigate relational and NoSQL databases.
This role will be responsible for engaging with the BAR Architecture Team, as well as collaborating with business process leads and Workday specialists in designing data movement from multiple systems into the new Data Lake / Data Warehouse. The requirements phase will then transition into development activities with the creation of Python code, Lambda modules, and other data movement processes in a cloud-based big data environment. This role will work with a number of teams across all aspects of the new solution (finance, HCM, and student).
Our goal is to foster a community of professionals with diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds who actively collaborate to support the mission of the Ohio State University. We are committed to personal and professional growth of individuals as they achieve their highest potential and support others along the way. In an ever-changing technology landscape our employees are flexible, innovative, and adept problem-solvers.
- Familiar with modern data analytics techniques, such as AWS, Redshift, serverless coding, streaming and micro batch data loads, code automation, testing automation
- Familiar with modern deployment tools such as GitLab, GitHub, Jenkins
- 1 to 2 years of experience with the AWS Data Analytics platform
- Experience in higher education
- Bachelor’s degree in computer and information science
- 0 to 3 years in data programming and/or integration technologies (ETL tools, Python, shell scripting)
- 0 to 3 years of working within a software development lifecycle, including development, testing, code migrations, and deployments, source code control, and collaborative programming
- Experience in working with the business and process analysts in gathering requirements, as well as in collaborative data movement design
- Fundamental understanding of SQL (query, analyze, optimization, troubleshooting) and database technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills, including relationship and conflict management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to flex and adapt to changing environments and direction in team development goals
In accordance with the Disaster Preparedness and University State of Emergency Policy 6.17 this position has been designated as an essential position.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.