Assistant Manager Trades Shop – Plumbing at Miami University
Posting DateJuly 6, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assists in overseeing repair or construction of university facilities or property which require specialized training in a skilled trade. Directly supervises at least nine (9) classified staff. Position supervises, manages, plans and organizes plumbing maintenance trade technicians for a university campus consisting of approximately two hundred buildings. Work consists of maintenance, installation, operation and repair of a wide variety of mechanical and plumbing systems/equipment.
- Supervises nine (9) or more skilled trade personnel in the shop; assists in enforcing policies and procedures; establishes schedules and assigns tasks; monitors and evaluates performance; makes recommendations regarding training, discipline and pride awards.
- Assists with overseeing shop operations; sets priorities and schedules projects; prepares cost estimates.
- Reviews completed work of employees and contractors; ensures that any needed changes or corrections are made.
- Researches and evaluates new materials and equipment; makes recommendations regarding purchase.
- Maintains inventory of parts and supplies; reorders as necessary; maintains department records and work orders including labor and material costs.
- May assist in maintenance and repair work as needed. • Covers additional trade areas in other’s absence.
- Screens applicants and collaborates in hiring recommendations.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics
Knowledge of the procedures and equipment of plumbing trade; supervisory skills; mechanical aptitude; ability to read and understand blueprints and/or mechanical diagrams.
Physical effort usually requires considerable walking and standing with some lifting of materials weighing 25 to 50 pounds. Periodic assignments are given which entail dealing with modestly unpleasant situations
Requires 18 months of training beyond high school in a skilled trade and four years of experience in the plumbing trade, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Driver's license required.
- Journeyman Plumber Experience,
- Supervisor Development Series Education and/or LEAN training and/or equivalent supervisor education.
- Multiple years of justifiable supervisory experience
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco-free.