Assistant Cook at Miami University
Posting DateDecember 9, 2016
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Check out our new starting pay rate – $11.35/hr!!
Job Summary: Job ID: 3661 – AFSCME – FT (Hourly)
Under direct supervision, assists in the preparation of a wide variety of foods in large volume production quantities. Actively participates in mandatory extensive Cook training program.
- Operates standard institutional cooking and food preparation equipment in the preparation of food for serving.
- Assists in the preparation of hot and cold menu by following standard recipes, production specifications and scheduled serving times.
- Maintains records of work performed, time expended, food temperatures and ingredients used etc.; performs basic mathematical calculations and records information as needed.
- Maintains clean and sanitary work and dining areas. Observes strict safety rules.
- Maintains all food items at proper temperatures as instructed; takes and properly stores food samples. Follows proper procedures in storing and preserving left-over food items.
- Maintains surfaces, utensils, and equipment in a clean and serviceable condition.
- Responds to client requests for service, special diets, as well as other information in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- High School diploma or GED
- Six months experience in food service operations or comparable training experience
- Successfully pass ServSafe Manager Certification within first year in position
- Successfully complete the 15 week Cook Training Program within first two years in position
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers
- Ability to work with ratios.
- Ability to read and write simple sentences
- Knowledge of basic food preparation techniques including storage and handling
- Ability to understand and follow directions; ability to communication information so others will understand
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes meeting quality standards and evaluation of those standards.
protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html
Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.