Application Software Developer II at Miami University
Posting DateOctober 16, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Come grow with us.
Miami is committed to a culture of health and wellness on campus with several benefits, healthcare, and wellness programs.
Health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance; tuition fee waiver; paid sick and parental leave, paid vacation, paid holidays; state-sponsored, alternate and supplemental retirement plans are part of our employee benefits package.
Plus you can be part of the University’s academic culture and can teach one credit-bearing course per semester.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Summary: Job ID#: 496102 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic individual that loves technology and new challenges for an Application and Software Developer position in a rewarding university environment. Is this you?
Ideal candidates, like you, will bring excellent technical and interpersonal skills and a commitment to supporting our values including being team-focused, and technology-curious. And, Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally.
You'll pursue the best solutions for the University including:
- Playing an important role in assisting with designing and building custom solutions for university technology needs.
- Being a part of a team that implements third-party software solutions to meet the strategic needs of the university.
- Help with creating API-driven data integrations for on-premise and hosted software.
- Assist with documentation and training for end-users and internal operations teams.
- Acting in an essential technical supporting role for existing production services.
- Using your experience, work with team members and staff in the remediation of barriers to success.
- Treat security as job one as you design and implement solutions that protect sensitive data.
- In partnership with the university offices and third-party software providers, you will help ensure optimal use of technology solutions.
- Assist with cloud infrastructure deployments (AWS, Azure, GCP).
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field earned by date of hire and one year of relevant experience.
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
As the Application Software Developer II reporting to our Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for you to have knowledge and experience in:
- Developing applications that use single-sign-on and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor)
- Developing applications in PHP (Laravel), Python, Node JS, or similar languages
- Using source code management systems (Git, etc.) and Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Developing secure applications (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.)
- Improving the quality of applications by using various testing options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load testing and documenting test plans, cases and results.
- Higher Ed ERP systems (Ellucian’s Banner suite), Learning Management systems (Canvas), and web portal systems (Liferay) or similar applications.
- Design and develop applications using relational database management systems and experience with SQL.
- Web application server administration in applications such as Apache/Tomcat and Weblogic.
- Linux and Windows OS with a basic understanding of networking.
- Developing and testing web applications for accessibility (ADA) compliance
- Working knowledge of cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.).
- Working as a member of or leading a team using Agile development techniques (Scrum or Kanban).
- Understand the collaborative and planning needs for designing and implementing high-volume, interactive, essential applications.
Submit cover letter, resume and list of three references via button above
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free.