Application Engineer at Abaco Systems, Inc. in Ottawa, Canada
Posting DateMarch 30, 2017
Location of Position
Abaco Systems is a global leader in open architecture rugged embedded systems. Spun out of GE in 2015, we combine over 30 years’ experience in the industry with the attitude and opportunity of a start-up company. Find your place here as part of a high-performing team, delivering products and services in industries such as energy, water, consumer-packaged goods, government & defense, and telecommunications.
Are you looking to become a part of something remarkable? Check out Abaco Systems. We are looking for a diverse, self-motivated, and energetic collaboration of minds to build the mission-critical rugged embedded technology. Open-minds, creativity, and innovation are the cornerstone of our new generation; failure is not an option. We offer excellent compensation and a full complement of benefits to provide for you and your family.
We offer excellent compensation and a full complement of benefits to provide for you and your family.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Field Applications Engineer for Abaco Embedded Products for Canada
- Field Applications Engineer role is to work closely with the Regional Sales team to develop, support new accounts and expand existing accounts within an established geographic territory responsible for all products in the Abaco Embedded portfolio
- Provides pre-sale technical support for the development and implementation of customer applications dealing with complex systems.
- Promote ABACO products and solutions through Customer calls, road shows, seminars, Trade Shows, white papers and exhibitions.
- May work through all phases of customer interaction including customer analysis, design implementation and product manufacturing including long term support.
- Assists sales staff in assessing potential application of company products to meet customer needs and preparing detailed product specifications.
- Technical responsibility for pre- and/ or post-sales support of company products/systems.
- Implements detailed customer installation plans and some product training.
- Provides follow-up support in disseminating technical information on specific applications.
- Contribute to business intelligence – Gather information about market trends and competitive offerings. Provide feedback to marketing on programs and products (be a part of the New Product Introduction process!).
- Ensure that Customer (and Supplier) Relationships are well managed.
- Capture customer technical requirements and accurately, qualify program opportunities to build business cases to justify pursuit of Abaco Embedded Products.
- Help Regional team drive new Design Wins to ensure long-term revenue growth for ABACO
- Identify product requirements specific to market needs and provide input to the Product Management Teams for product planning.
- Work closely with PM’s, Engineering and Sales Teams to ensure that ABACO business objectives are aligned with our customer’s strategic direction.
- Provide input, coordinate and participate selected tradeshows, technology days and industry events.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent and minimum 5 years of related experience or a Master's degree and minimum 2 years of related experience or at least 8 years’ practical experience in the Mil/Aero Embedded Systems industry.
- Strong Technical/Practical background desired in the Embedded systems industry, spanning open architecture computer platforms, including but not limited to VME, VPX, CPCI, PCIe, Networking, Graphics, Signal Processing, PowerPC and Intel architectures
- Proven track record of technical support for COT’s (Commercial-Off the Shelf) Embedded solutions into military defense and commercial applications.
- Working knowledge of typical embedded applications such as radar, sonar, C4ISR, mission computing, targeting/tracking, SIGINT, electronic warfare, communications
- Technical knowledge of Embedded Computing market and technologies, including SBC’s, Switches, Multi-processors, I/O, Video/Graphics, Avionics, High Performance Embedded Solutions & Systems.
- Knowledge of COTS technologies including VME, VPX, CPCI, PMC, XMC, switched fabrics and real-time Operating Systems.
- Strong communicator with excellent presentation skills.
- Ability and availability to travel up to 70%. Must be willing to travel 50-70%
Abaco Systems prides itself on being an Equal Opportunity Employer.