Application Developer IV at Miami University
Posting DateJuly 18, 2019
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in cross-functional, major systems projects. Coordinate moderately sized projects. Maintain project status reports. Develop written technical project proposals. Recommend technical solutions to project issues. In coordination with the team, work to remove roadblocks.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team with an emphasis on agile methodologies and be accountable to that team on all aspects of a solution.
- Proactively contribute to the advancement of a team. This may include serving in the Scrum Master role (or similar roles) for agile teams.
- Gather, document and analyze requirements and develop specifications for complete systems and applications using agile techniques.
- Design, develop, modify, test and implement computer applications using agile techniques. This includes the appropriate design and use of error handling, logging, APIs, code reuse, etc.
- Plans and executes third party software implementations and integrations with a focus on designing APIs and code reuse.
- Participate in change management procedures.
- Document test plans and execute a variety of testing methods; coordinate automation with QA when possible.
- Provide support and problem resolution of computer applications and systems.
- Coordinate support with other IT Services areas and other campus units.
- Provide formal and informal demonstrations and training on a variety of computer application related topics to IT Services and clients.
- Provide and maintain documentation on computer applications.
- Build positive relationships and serve as a liaison with clients and IT Services staff. This includes acquiring a knowledge of the roles, duties, and skills that various clients and teams possess and utilizing that knowledge to engage others effectively.
- Proactively work with clients, offering solutions to problems and continually strive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their business operation. Learn and understand client business processes and functions.
- Actively seek to balance excellent customer service with efficient operations.
- Review and analyze vendor responses to RFP.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- May occasionally teach one credit-bearing course, per semester, on an as-needed basis.
Provide leadership for the development of sourcing and procurement strategies resulting in effective agreements, cost savings, and process improvements that move the university forward. Food procurement is a key commodity responsibility. Leads the strategic food and food-related supplies sourcing and procurement in support of Campus Services. Ensures all sourcing and procurement activities follow established guidelines set forth by the State of Ohio and the University. Develops a diversified sourcing and procurement toolbox that includes, but not limited to, the utilization of consortiums and GPO.
Leads the Development and maintains strategic sourcing plans that coordinate the sourcing and contract management activities within assigned categories to deliver targeted benefits.
Develops and maintains relationships with departments for purposes of gathering, analyzing and conveying information to support category management and strategic sourcing efforts. Participates in regularly scheduled reviews.
Plans and conducts strategic sourcing process on defined opportunities and engaging key stakeholders in the process to meet departmental procurement needs.
Maintains deep category expertise through understanding and application of industry developments, marketplace trends, emerging technology, new techniques, leading practices, and shared experiences.
Reviews and approves all expenditures made monthly on three University p-cards. Ensuring the $60,000 potential monthly spend follows established university policy, and is correctly accounted for.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field earned by date of hire.
- 4 years experience in web-based application development and using database management systems in application development.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the
- knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these
- knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
- Demonstrated experience developing applications in PHP and the Laravel framework, or related languages/frameworks, PL/SQL or other Oracle tools, developing/consuming web services (REST).
- Demonstrated experience with application support, and 3rd party application deployment in Linux, Windows, or Cloud environment. Demonstrated experience designing and implementing high-volume, highly interactive, mission critical applications
- Demonstrated experience working with users/clients/teams
- A master's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Computer and Information Systems, Business Systems or other similar related area of study earned by date of hire.
- Demonstrated experience with requirements gathering, analysis, and design for applications or moderately complex systems
- Demonstrated ability to independently research and evaluate technology and industry trends
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a more senior member of a team including assisting and mentoring less experienced team members, demonstrating effective team communications skills, and an ability to identify and address barriers to team effectiveness.
Submit cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references via the Apply button above
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex/gender (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin (ancestry), disability, age (40 years or older), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, status as a parent or foster parent, military status, or veteran status in its recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Requests for all reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2225. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free