Application Developer II at Miami University
Posting DateAugust 2, 2017
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 4475 – Unclassified – FT (Salaried)
The Application Developer II is a member of the Office of the University Registrar staff and is responsible for application development and technology services with a primary focus on the Ellucian Banner environment, implementation and integration of locally hosted and SaaS third party software, development of custom solutions, and application support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field obtained by the date of hire
- 2 years of experience in web-based, application development and using database management systems in application development
Any equivalent combination of education and /or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted.
- Knowledge of/experience developing in/supporting Banner
- Exposure/demonstrated experience with application support, development, and third party application deployment in Linux, Windows, or SaaS environments
- Knowledge/experience developing applications in Oracle and its related tools such as SQL Developer, SQL Plus, PL/SQL, PHP, Perl, Java, Angular JS, and other related languages
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience consuming and developing web services (REST or SOA) that are hardened against web attacks (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working implementing third party systems
- Demonstrated experience developing shell scripts
- Experience developing and testing web applications for accessibility (ADA) compliance
- Experience developing or implementing applications that utilize single sign-on and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor)
- Experience using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Demonstrating good verbal and written communication skills, including communicating with technical and non-technical clients, and with clients and staff at all organizational levels
- Demonstrated ability to develop, execute, and automate test plans
- Demonstrated problem-solving abilities and experience
- Customer service skills, including diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handling complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize new tools, languages, and concepts
- Demonstrated ability to independently gain knowledge of technology and industry trends
- Working knowledge of network architecture and concepts including DNS, DHCP, VLANS, and desktop operating systems
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOHedu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.