Application Developer I at Miami University
Posting DateAugust 1, 2018
Location of Position
Imagine the possibilities with a career at Miami…
Miami University is a major public university with a small college feel. Creating environments for learning excellence and providing career opportunities in Oxford, Hamilton, Middletown, West Chester and Luxembourg, our faculty and staff are the fuel that drives Miami!
We rank first nationally among public universities for best teaching by U.S. News & World Report. Our opportunities for growth and advancement aren't limited to students in the classroom. Our faculty, staff and student employees are highly valued for their contribution toward the Miami experience.
Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati. A true college town, Oxford features a wide variety of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the main campus. Our regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Miami offers a great work environment and competitive benefits. We invite you to experience Miami and see how you can support the University’s academic mission.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities at Miami.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job ID: 6077 – FT – Unclassified (salaried)
Under specific or general direction, participate in a team responsible for delivering solutions, including acquisition, implementation and integration of locally hosted and SaaS third-party software, development of custom solutions, and supporting applications. Work effectively with the team and be accountable to the team.
- Participates in cross-functional projects. Coordinate small development tasks. Identify roadblocks and report them to the team leadership.
- Develops application specifications based on existing requirements using agile or other techniques. Participates in gathering and documenting requirements.
- Designs, develops, modifies, tests, and implements computer and web applications. Designs and uses error handling, logging, APIs, code reuse, etc.
- Designs, develops, implements and coordinates systems, policies and procedures.
- Develops application specifications based on existing requirements using agile or other techniques. May participate in gathering and documenting requirements and writing application code and reports
- Coordinates support of existing applications, reports and interfacing and problem resolution of computer applications.
- Work proactively to maintain data integrity for University Advancement
- Participate in change management procedures.
- Create and execute multiple levels of test plans including the automation of tests.
- Provide support and problem resolution of computer applications, production schedules, testing.
- Provide demonstrations and training on new and modified computer applications to end users.
- Work with client departments to suggest solutions to problems. Learn and understand client business processes and functions.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Systems Analysis, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience in Software Application Development or a related field.
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience consuming and developing web services (REST or SOA) or other web software application development.
- Knowledge/experience developing applications in PHP, Java, Perl, or similar languages.
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems.
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience developing applications in Java, Grails, or related languages.
- Knowledge/experience of HTML, CSS or other internet application experience.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, temporary resident (admitted for residence as an applicant under the 1986 immigration amnesty law), refugee or asylee.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at http://www.miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco-free.